One of the most common questions I get from my glasses and contact lens patients is “am I a candidate for LASIK”?
Unfortunately, this is a difficult question to answer because your eligibility depends on a number of factors!
A few of the main factors for getting LASIK include:
- Being over the age of 18 (preferably 21) and must have stable vision for at least one year.
- Free of certain health problems (such as uncontrolled diabetes), eye diseases (such as keratoconus or advanced dry eye disease), eye infections and eye injuries.
- Not be pregnant or nursing.
- Being out of contact lenses for a certain period of time.
- The front of your eye, known as the cornea, must be thick enough to surgically alter.
Overall, everyone’s eye and health background is different. Which is why, if you’re interested in LASIK, we highly recommend having your eyes evaluated by a qualified eye care professional to accurately determine if you’re a candidate.